Sunday, 6 February 2011

Paraffin tales

Well here we are poised in Beaufort South Carolina ready to return to the open sea having whittled off the miles as the weather was unfavourable outside. As ever its been an interesting few days where we met up with Robin and Jac, moved south on the ICW to Southport, went outside for 130 miles down to Charleston, spent a last few days together before going our separate ways; they will pootle on before leaving Blackthorn to go RV'ing and we head who knows where. We've been together, on and off, for the last 3 years so in cruising terms a lifetime. As ever with this sort of life we may well meet up again somewhere along the line (we have plans for a "dribble commune" at some point in the future where Bee, as the resident youngster,  gets to care for the 3 old gits....) but in the meantime we'll have to get used to missing them.

Taylors Cookers..........Don't you just love 'em? Well we get on tolerably well with ours for much of the time but recently we made a serious error and contaminated the fuel took the best part of 5 days to find the problem, clean out the tank, replace the Racor filter, blow through the piping using a bike track pump, rebuild both burners and finally, finally after much depression getting the thing to work properly. Yes I know contaminating the fuel is our fault but somehow... As Robin Knox-Johnson so famously said "I swear by my paraffin cooker.....often" Luckily R&J (fellow sufferer's) were close by to offer solace, hot food and in the end some of the spares before we parted company.

We left Charleston or Wappoo  Creek, struggled through the cut with the tide hard against us and worked our way through the usual narrow and, to us, shallow channels before fetching up for the night in a deserted anchorage. Leaving the following day in fog and driving rain I had momentary doubts about the sense of it all but we persevered and were rewarded with an interesting "navigational" day as we tried to remain in the channel, watched with alarm as the depths plummeted to 1'9", about 50cms or so as we strayed from the channel before ending up in a sheltered backwater for the night. Lovely. One of the joys of this sort of thing is the day spent dealing with the cold is rewarded with an evening sat in front of the wood burner listening to the silence of the surroundings. We came into this anchorage on a falling tide but left this morning on a rising and consequently had much more water but no clearly defined channel. Cloudy to begin with, the day brightened into clear skies and sunshine and open water as we motored up the Coosaw River toward Beaufort S.C. A short day as the tides helped us and we slid into Factory Creek, close to a road but well sheltered from the wind. Forecasts are looking good for a long run down to Florida and if they hold we'll leave here tomorrow and head back out to sea.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! thanks for sharing.
    Rob the paint!:o))